Sunday, June 9, 2013

Remain in Light, Talking Heads, 1980

Bouncy and modern, Remain in Light is widely regarded as a masterpiece, one of the most accomplished albums of the eighties and the pinnacle creation for one of America's most adventurous New Wavers.  The team of Eno/Byrne hit the trifecta with this album.  They make us feel.  They make us think.  And they also remember to entertain us.  A headphone album chock-full of fascinating soundscapes which will hold its luster and avant-garde posture happily ever after.

4 comments:

  1. I love this album (and the band of course) to death.

    Have you listened to much Phish, Jeffrey? They're another favorite of mine, and they covered the entire Remain in Light with full horns and percussion at one of their Halloween shows in the early 90s. It's an extraordinary listen in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Drew, great to hear from you. It's been awhile since I have listened to a lot of Phish. I always liked them. They just have not been on my radar of late.

    I'm really curious though about their cover of RIL. I will definitely seek it out.

    And I am glad to hear we share an affinity for this album. It is a relatively new discovery for me but one of my favorite musical discoveries of the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes this is certainly a great album Jeffrey, and one I did love listening to back in the day! The West African poly-rhythms were musically fascinating and of course the album was led by the single "Once in a Lifetime." I am sure you have strong regard for STOP MAKING SENSE too!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Sam. I do really like STOP MAKING SENSE although I owe it a revisit. (It's been too long since I gave it listen.) RIL is one of those albums I am not sure how I missed all these years. Really a highlight of my listening this last year or so.

    ReplyDelete