Sunday, July 23, 2023

4th Reel Adventures Talk - Part 2

Here is Part 2 of my talk from the 4th Reel Adventures at R.W. Norton Art Gallery:

“A master painting has multiple repeating threads running through it. These hold the painting together and unify it in much the same way a great symphony is tied together by a repeated main theme…Repetition, variety, unity, harmony are characteristics of all great symphonies and of all great paintings.”

I am a formalist. When I watch a film, the first thing I’m doing is deconstructing and judging the way it is formed. And one of my goals with these Reel Adventures is to share some tools with you in hopes that if you learn more about how movies are made, know more about what you are watching, you will ultimately feel deeper enjoyment for the entire experience.

When I look at Fargo, one of the aspects I most admire is its sense of design and rhythm. Everything seems considered and everything feels unusually cohesive. More than anything, I would say the Coen Brothers achieve this high level of design through their use of repetition. Of doing certain things twice. 
Let me show you what I’m talking about.

POWERPOINT presentation. You can find it here. Download PowerPoint and then run in slideshow mode so you can watch the video clips:

It’s this repetition that gives Fargo its unique design and form.

Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment