Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Favorite (four), part 3

As I mentioned during my other two entries in this series, periodically I'll stop and single out the films I've seen recently that I've responded to most strongly.  The other two entries were five films, but this one is four.  Why?  It's been awhile since I've done one of these posts, and I felt it was time to bring out the filter.

John Ford's The Long Voyage Home (Cameraman Gregg Toland does some extraordinary things, and there's a depthfulness and heavy melancholy that gives it the kind of heft I've experienced with some Ozu, Mizoguchi, Bresson, and Dreyer)
Peter Bogdanovich's Paper Moon (An incredible performance from Tatum O'Neal and some nice Fordian nostalgia and melancholy)
Woody Allen's Radio Days (A personal film by Woody, buoyant and graceful)
Disney's Pinocchio (A tremendous Disney film, full of imagination and warmth)

Looking forward to the great discoveries ahead.  Happy viewing to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment